We aim to give excellent service at all times and we constantly seek to ensure that we keep aware of clients’ needs and expectations . However, should you have a complaint you are invited to let us know as soon as possible . You may wish to make a complaint in writing, please see the procedure below or if you would rather speak on the telephone about your complaint you may speak to David Brogelli Practice Director to discuss the matter on an informal basis.
- As it is Elysium Laws’ policy to deal with complaints in a responsive way rather than hope the problem will go away early and open communication is encouraged between client and barristers to remedy most problems that arise.
- Professional clients are advised of who to approach in Elysium Law in the event of dissatisfaction with services provided via the website and client care statement. Any client is provided with a copy of Elysium Law’s complaints procedure upon request.
- In line with BSB regulations Elysium Law has 2 stages of complaint resolutions.
- A note of the details of your telephone complaint will be made and what you would like done about it. He will aim to resolve your concerns and ensure that you are satisfied with the outcome. A written record is made of any complaint as part of our commitment to Client Care and the records are available at all times to the Management Committee with a view to improving our service to clients.
- If the matter is not resolved satisfactorily a formal complaint may be lodged and the procedure for written complaints follows below.
- Unless there are exceptional circumstances Elysium Law will not deal with complaints that fall outside the 12 month period from the date on which the cause arose.
- Formal complaints in writing either to the relevant barrister or Practice Director will be acknowledged promptly ideally within two days you will be sent a copy of our complaints procedure and you will be advised when a full response should follow usually between 14 and 28 days.
- Please give the following details:
- Your name and address
- Your e mail address if you have one and permission to contact at that address
- Which member(s) of Elysium Law you are complaining about
- The detail of the complaint
- And what you believe should be done about it
- The Practice Director is to be made aware immediately of any complaint received in Elysium Law whether to the Clerks ,a barrister or the Head of Elysium Law
- Should the complaint relate to actions by:
- (a) A Barrister – it should be dealt with by him/her first with the Practice Director’s knowledge who will make enquiries of the barrister and with the professional client. If after this it not resolved satisfactorily it will be dealt with by the Practice Director
- (b) A Staff Member – it will be dealt with by the respective Practice Director and if after this it is not resolved satisfactorily it will be dealt with by the Head of Elysium Law.
- Following the investigation by the Practice Director the reply will set out:
- The nature and scope of the investigation
- His /her conclusion on each complaint and the basis of that conclusion
- Whether he/she finds that you are justified in your complaint his/her proposals for resolving the complaint
- All conversations and documents relating to the complaint will be treated as confidential and will be disclosed only to the extent that is necessary. Disclosures will be to the Head of Elysium Law, the Complaint Handler and to anyone involved in the complaint and its investigation. A written record is made of any complaint and the records are available at all times to the Management Committee with a view to improving our service to clients.
- If a complainant having had the matter reviewed by the Head of Elysium Law is still not satisfied, the complaint can be referred to the Legal Ombudsman, address below, who is the independent complaints body for service complaints about lawyers and complaints from the barrister’s client are within their jurisdiction but they will only consider complaints that have already been referred to Elysium Law and have received an unsatisfactory outcome.
- It should be noted that it may not always be possible for Elysium Law to investigate a complaint brought by a non- client as our ability to satisfactorily investigate and resolve such matters is limited and complaints of this nature are often better suited to the disciplinary processes maintained by the Bar Standards Board.
- If you are not the barrister’s client and are unhappy with the outcome of investigation then please contact the Bar Standards Board at the address below. There is a three month time limit from the conclusion of the investigation by Elysium Law in which to raise your complaint with the BSB. They can be contacted at:
Bar Standards Board
289-293 High Holborn
London WC1V 7HZ
Tel: 020 7611 1444